The Connecticut River provides a valuable resource in the Greater Springfield area, particularly for those who would like to try out the sport of rowing. The Pioneer Valley Riverfront Club (PVRC) offers a variety of water-based activities for people of all skill levels. A few of the activities that PVRC sponsors include:
- Stand-up paddle boarding
- Dragon boating
- Sculling lessons
- Rowing lessons
With indoor and outdoor programs for youths and adults, PVRC has a way for everyone to enjoy the riverfront. Check out their website or give them a call at 413.736.1322 to find out how you can get involved.
What better way to get active and have fun than to start a weekly swimming routine? Consider some of the specific health benefits swimming can offer:
- Our bodies bear only 50 percent of their weight when we are waist deep, making swimming a perfect activity for those with arthritis or overweight.
- Heated pools can help relieve stiff joints.
- For fibromyalgia sufferers, swimming can decrease anxiety and depression associated with disease symptoms.
- Improves or maintains bone health in older women.
- Proven to lengthen life when part of a prolonged routine.
Currently, the City offers public swimming in 11 indoor school pools, two outdoor pools, and two local ponds. Springfield residents are entitled to use the city’s many public and school pools, provided they have registered for a free pool pass. Click here to register today.
The City also offers a variety of aquatic activities to keep you involved, including water aerobics, lap swimming, family swim night, and a variety of instructional classes. Learn more here.
Indoor school pools
- Central High School
- Commerce High School
- Chestnut Accelerated Middle School
- Duggan Middle School
- Gerena Elementary School
- High School of Science and Technology
- Kennedy Middle School
- Kiley Middle School
- Van Sickle Middle School / Springfield High School
- Rebecca Johnson Elementary School
- Milton Bradley Elementary School
Find more information about pool hours and locations here.
Outdoor swimming pools